In this article, you'll learn how to set up automated alerts that will be triggered by National Weather Service (NWS) events and can be posted to social media.
- A recipient must be added to the alert template in order for the integration to work.
- Create a Template that will be published when an NWS event occurs
- Note: Text entered in the Subject and Body fields will be replaced by text from the NWS event that triggered the alert.
- Note: At least one Recipient (group or user) needs to be selected on the template in order for the integration to work.
- Select Automated Weather Integrations from the sidebar
- Click the blue + button to add an integration
- Fill out the integration fields
- Note: The available fields will populate as selections are made.
- Name: Add a name for the integration
- Trigger: Select the NWS action that will trigger the automated alert. For example, to create an automated alert when the National Weather Service publishes a new alert, select NWS Weather Alert (New).
- Action: Select Send Weather Alert Template to ensure that an alert based on a specific template is published.
- Phenomena: Choose the NWS event(s) that will trigger an automated alert. For example, select Tornado if you want to send automated alerts about relevant NWS Tornado alerts.
- Locations: This field represents areas that could be included in NWS events. By selecting an area from this menu, you will designate which areas an NWS event should include for the event to trigger an alert.
- Severity: Select the NWS event severity level(s) that should trigger the alert.
- Alert Sender: The field will default to the user creating the integration.
- Template: Select the alert template that will automatically send when a trigger occurs. This should be the template you created in step 1.
- Integration enabled: Will be checked by default, uncheck if you wish to make the integration inactive
- Note: If you disable an integration, the integration's status will switch to Not Active. You will see this change from the Integrations list view.
- Click Save
Test the Automated Alert
Before an NWS event triggers an automated alert, you can test an integration by manually triggering an example alert.
Warning: Testing an action will send a real alert that is populated with a sample NWS event template that Konexus will provide. We strongly recommend that you customize the message text to include the word "Test."
- From the Edit Integration card, click Test Action
- Select an option from the Test Events dropdown menu
- The Test Event Data text box will then populate with information from a template
- Check the checkbox next to the text I understand that triggering this integration will perform the configured action to confirm that you understand that testing the action will send a real alert
- Click Trigger Now to send the test alert
- Note: After you click Trigger Now, the Test Action dialog will close, and a text box will appear at the bottom of the screen to confirm that your message has been sent.
- Navigate to the History/Reports tab or the Sent tab to view the sent alert